Have you received a Court Attendance Notice? Do you need to appear in Court? Appearing at Court without a Lawyer can be a daunting experience. Here are some tips to help you if you choose to represent yourself.
- Make sure you arrive early
- Make sure you have your paperwork with you
- Ensure that you have references ready for the Magistrate and Police Prosecutor to read
- Always address the Magistrate as “Your Honour”
- Be prepared to participate in an interview so a pre-sentence report can be prepared to help the Magistrate decide what sentence options are most suitable to your situation, eg. a custodial sentence, a fine or something else
If you choose to engage a lawyer, we would be happy to assist. We regularly appear for clients who have been charged with driving offences and offences relating to violence and drugs.